1. Fast Plants: Is the hypothesis supported?
look at leaf color and pigment as
2. Gene relationships problem set reviewed
3. PPT: Morgan updates Mendel
4. Lab C: Morgans results
HW: Finish Lab C Though step 10; Graph Lab B results; Notes 14.1
1. Mendel's data - size/difference pattern?
3. Fast Plants dihybrid results
review pre-lab; assess plants (carefully!); post to class data set
HW: Lab B data is posted; use to calculate percents, chi-square, finish this part of the lab. Continue with the Buffet: texts(1), gene relationships.
Re: buffet diagrams: best practice is to label AND annotate
1. Cell Cycle summary sheet redeux; stamped 11.2-3 notes stamped
2. Mendel's hypothesis: reject or not?
Does sample size matter? More results, graphed
3. Water Fast Plants
Lab A: Analyze Mendel's results (errors in class posted data are corrected here) (Last column DV is best for pattern.) Does the pea data support his hypothesis for any/all traits? Justify. Did sample size have any impact of his results? Justify.
Tackle something in the Buffet: one of the NY Times texts, perhaps?(describe/explain the condition/genetic cause; reflect - what would you choose?) Or try the Gene Relationships problem set
Quiz Monday : Vocab and s'math
Got a low exam score? Consider completing an optional genetics research project. Download specifics on the Heredity page.
1. Lab presentations (2 groups)
2. Mendels 3:1 hypothesis: accept or reject?
3. PPT - Mendel's other conclusions
4. Lab B: Dihybrid Fast Plant genetics
Intro: genes, visuals
Water plants (reserviors!)
Assume gene independence; make predictions
HW: Ch 11 notes: 11.2-11.3
Buffet: Applying the Chi-Square Test
1. Classic genetics (lab handout)
testing Mendel via chi-square
2. plant Fast Plants
3. TedEd: Cancer
HW: Paper/presentation due by next class
All Cell Cycle work completed, sports event, foreign trips and senior ditch day notwithstanding
1. Cell Cycle Buffet Work
notes stamped (Ch 9, ch 10, POGIL)
2. On to genetics...
Testing Mendels hypotheses - Dry lab
HW: Finish Cell Cycle Buffet
Mendelian genetics review via Potter PPT
What is Chi-square? Click through my PPT/Watch Bozeman video to clarify on Heredity page under Genetics)
1. pick up new Buffet section
extra class: Wednesday 3:45-4:30
Can't make it? Resources are uploaded
2. Cell Cycle, continued
Buffet: POGIL, diagram, table
HW: notes: 9.3 & 10.6 (through 184 only);
Cell Cycle POGIL; start the vocabulary
1. DNA review
Text notes, Mutations POGIL stamped
2. Effect of mutations: Disease Case Studies
• Lab paper component posted/edited by midnight tonight; comment on/edit others by Thursday
• Finish protein synthesis buffet work
• Read/notes: 9.1 & 9.2
• Extra exam prep Wednesday 3:45-4:30