Re: buffet diagrams: best practice is to label AND annotate
1. Cell Cycle summary sheet redeux; stamped 11.2-3 notes stamped
2. Mendel's hypothesis: reject or not?
Does sample size matter? More results, graphed
3. Water Fast Plants
Lab A: Analyze Mendel's results (errors in class posted data are corrected here) (Last column DV is best for pattern.) Does the pea data support his hypothesis for any/all traits? Justify. Did sample size have any impact of his results? Justify.
Tackle something in the Buffet: one of the NY Times texts, perhaps?(describe/explain the condition/genetic cause; reflect - what would you choose?) Or try the Gene Relationships problem set
Quiz Monday : Vocab and s'math
Got a low exam score? Consider completing an optional genetics research project. Download specifics on the Heredity page.
1. Lab presentations (2 groups)
2. Mendels 3:1 hypothesis: accept or reject?
3. PPT - Mendel's other conclusions
4. Lab B: Dihybrid Fast Plant genetics
Intro: genes, visuals
Water plants (reserviors!)
Assume gene independence; make predictions
HW: Ch 11 notes: 11.2-11.3
Buffet: Applying the Chi-Square Test
1. Classic genetics (lab handout)
testing Mendel via chi-square
2. plant Fast Plants
3. TedEd: Cancer
HW: Paper/presentation due by next class
All Cell Cycle work completed, sports event, foreign trips and senior ditch day notwithstanding
1. Cell Cycle Buffet Work
notes stamped (Ch 9, ch 10, POGIL)
2. On to genetics...
Testing Mendels hypotheses - Dry lab
HW: Finish Cell Cycle Buffet
Mendelian genetics review via Potter PPT
What is Chi-square? Click through my PPT/Watch Bozeman video to clarify on Heredity page under Genetics)
1. pick up new Buffet section
extra class: Wednesday 3:45-4:30
Can't make it? Resources are uploaded
2. Cell Cycle, continued
Buffet: POGIL, diagram, table
HW: notes: 9.3 & 10.6 (through 184 only);
Cell Cycle POGIL; start the vocabulary
1. DNA review
Text notes, Mutations POGIL stamped
2. Effect of mutations: Disease Case Studies
• Lab paper component posted/edited by midnight tonight; comment on/edit others by Thursday
• Finish protein synthesis buffet work
• Read/notes: 9.1 & 9.2
• Extra exam prep Wednesday 3:45-4:30
1. Need stamps?
Buffet elements, chapter/review Q
Move extra class to Wednesdays?
2. PPT: DNA History
3. Review transcription & translation
via POGIL, Bingo
4. Group Lab: Osmosis or WP; doc. or ppt
HW: • Post & Edit your lab component
• Complete Mutations POGIL
• SOAPS Analysis of Nature Text
• Read/take notes : 12.1, 12.3; 12.4, 12.5
• AP test-takers are advised to access the resources on the exam page/handouts
1. Ch 5/Exam review stamped
3. Get Buffet pages: DNA
• Make sure Membranes and Water Potential Labs are complete in notebook
• POGIL - Review transcription and translation via the POGIL
1. Work stamped: POGIL, Working with Data
pick up DNA Buffet
Exam Tuesday or Thursday?
2. Recap: Water potential
3. Lab: Water Potential
compare your calculations; agree upon hypotheses while you wait. Post class results.
HW: Exam Review sheet/Midterm Tuesday
Ch 5: Reviewing this Chapter # 2,3,5-9
Thinking Scientifically #1
Start DNA Review via POGILS