1. An interactive bell curve
(expect climate change q on the AP exam!)
2. SOAPS work stamped. discussed: The Median isn't the Message
3. PPT: Standard Error of the Mean
4. Lab: Are the two populations the same or different?
Compare, via graphed means with +- 2SEM
Write CER #2
HW: • Finish the lab notebook work on variation (#4)
• Watch this Video lecture: Meaning of SD and SE
• Buffet: read/annotate Malthus An Essay on the Principles of Population
1. Last chance for 15.1 & 15.2 stamped
2. Lab results: are populations varied?
3. PPT: Population Statistics, continued
Standard deviation practice problem; graph it!
4. Variation Lab: annotate the graph with the results values;
analysis part 1: CER. Make a broad claim re: population variation (one your data and other research could be evidence in support of)
HW: • Complete part 1 CER as needed
• Buffett: Read & take SOAPS notes on the text The Median isn't the Message
assembly schedule today
1. 15.1 & 15.2 notes + questions stamped
2. PPT: Statistics to describe a population
handouts: reference page in lieu of notes; formula sheet to mark up
3. Variation data, continued
summarize data via results
results table & graphs into lab notebook
compare two populations
HW: > Complete lab work through histograms and results tables; glue into notebook
> Buffet: define the unit vocabulary
• use multiple reference sources , then write own definition;
• include multiple definitions for a Quizlet flashcard deck;
• write assertions that show the relationships between two or more terms
worst practice: cut and paste from a single source of a vocabulary list
1. Why AP Biology? What are you interested in studying in college?
2. New Unit: Mechanisms of Evolution
reading started? don't forget the imbedded questions
pick up the Buffet
3. Lab: Evolution via Selection Part A: Variation
background & pre-lab - see reference page
generate data; record in Sheets; share with all group members
HW: Continue with notes/questions 15.1 & 15.2, review questions too
Please silence and pocket your phones
1. Frog data and claims stamped, shared; MC practice question reviewed
2. On Methods...
Compare Ch 1 graphics Q and A
No sloppy science!
3. Evolution via selection
In Darwin's words
begin lab A : Variation
HW: • Read/take notes p13 Statistical Studies. Answer Q 1 & 2 in the text, 3 & 4 on the syllabus.
• Start notes 15.1 & 15.2
1. Why AP Biology?
PPT: Course Overview: College Board, syllabus, scores
2. Books checked out @ 1:15, 2:50
3. Working With Data: A link between pesticides and amphibian declines
HW: • Finish the Working with Data
• Review scientific methods via graphics in section 1.4 and the Q1-3 on the syllabus. (1.4 notes, questions if needed)
• Read & take notes section 1.1
• Get a sturdy lab notebook;
• Got basic spreadsheet skills? Tutorial here